Monday, January 14, 2008

In high school it was a lot easier to write. In high school everything was do-or-die, everything was of utmost importance, it could make or break me. I would have experiences that I thought if people misinterpreted, it would color the entire rest of my life. I used people's initials in online diary entries and thought that it was enough, that people somehow wouldn't pick out their initial from the alphabet and hundreds of identifying details from the sidelines of my entries. It was astonishingly naive of me. Luckily, I was also pretty unpopular and no one really cared about my online diary. I could have, you know, been really popular and thrown it all away through passive-aggressive online gossiping instead. The horrors.

Actually, my sneakiness factor hasn't gotten any better. I am still as stark and obvious as a bloodstain on a white couch. When I was a kid I would pick my nose sitting next to someone on a couch if we were watching TV, working under the assumption that their peripheral vision couldn't possibly be operative. And now I seem to think that just because I'm six feet tall and crowned by fiery blonde hair doesn't mean that I can't blend into a crowd (it does mean that. It absolutely does, and just because it's unfair doesn't make it untrue.).

The same goes for gossip. I can be talking about someone right in front of them and I think they somehow won't hear me. I can tell a secret about someone to their best friend and think that their best friend bond will temporarily break, especially for me, and the secret won't be passed. I'm just incredibly socially immature like that, and I'm starting to think it's permanent. My solution to this problem thus far has been to talk about everybody to everybody, to put everything out there in the most blatant terms possible, and to disclose this before someone tells me a secret, in case the secret-teller doesn't like the way I handle information. I see this as honest and egalitarian and I don't think anybody in the world agrees with this sentiment. What say you, internet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree actually. I've had many conversations on the idea of complete honesty. It seems to be that 'being honest' is this virtue that is widely held as a good thing. Yet, often people do not want to hear the truth.

Examples:
Do these make me look fat / short / pale / etc?
What do you think of (that food that I just prepared)?

My conjecture is that when the fudging starts at this basic and inconsequential level just so that everyone feels good and no one gets hurt feelings and people appear nice and polite, that it is only a step towards more potent (if you will) half-truths, prevarications, and lies.

The former does not necessarily result in the latter, I admit, but it seems reasonable to me that if one can make an excuse to lie about a particularly unflattering pair of pants or a horrible casserole, why should they be trusted on things that actually matter? Importance, frequency, and politeness should not be criteria for honesty, in my opinion.