Friday, October 06, 2006

I woke up in the middle of the night two nights ago feeling like a giant had his pinky pressed against the inside of my throat. With the irrationality that comes from jerking out of an unsettling dream with something odd and inexplicable going on inside your body, I burst out of the mosquito net, tripped over the wooden slats of our bedframe to the wall, and flicked on the light, whisper-shouting 'Nick! Nick! Wake up! I think I have bird flu!'

The sheer terror of it caused my whole body to start spasming (another symptom of bird flu, I now know, though the sensation of a giant with his pinky in your throat is not, in fact, a symptom in the first place) which made me even more positive that I was going to die within the next half hour, maybe hour if it would be particularly painful and drawn out. My chest burned a little. I made Nick run around the house with a blue bucket and some hot water, not quite sure the path my death would take. We don't have a telephone, and the only one in the house with a cell phone was asleep, and I wasn't certain enough that I was going to die to make a big embarrassing scene by waking him up and calling the hospital, not that, once called, I could communicate with the doctors anyway.

Eventually I calmed myself down by convincing myself that I had swallowed my malaria pill the wrong way and it had dissolved in my throat instead of in my stomach, when, even in the stomach, it often causes vomiting and nausea as a side effect (in other people, not in me). So in the throat it must produce severe burning... right? RIGHT?

Two days later, it still burns badly to swallow or breathe deeply, but the pain has moved to my chest. Feels like chronic severe heartburn, the kind that never goes away for even one minute. Any ideas? It's (probably) not bird flu - bird flu hasn't been found in Jayapura or anywhere near Jayapura, and chest pain isn't a symptom. Heart attacks don't begin in your throat. Acid reflux doesn't just start in the middle of the night. Sorry for the roiling mundanity, but I need some input.

5 comments:

radialRelish said...

I would say acid reflex--it can happen anytime--or at worst strep-throat. If walk in pharmacies sell antibiotics, take some (even though every doctor would disagree), or go to the doctor. There's plenty to catch in tropical, developing countries, but I'm sure it's nothing fatal. Anyway this is my blog name and (I think) link. Feel free to check it out.

~chell

Anonymous said...

Makes the most sense to go see a doctor. If it's a bacteria or something, you don't want it to spread, and if it's some sort of scratch or something that you got from swallowing your malaria pill sideways, you don't want it to get infected. Since (at least a few days ago) you're not dead and you didn't mention a fever, it's probably (outside of painful) not that serious, but better to fix it than suffer unnecessarily. And dosing up on vitamin C never seems to hurt, if you can.

ohmygodimmike said...

It seems to me that Doctors over perscribe antibiotics. I will have to repectfully disagree with radialrelish and discourage taking antibiotics unless needed. Yogurt is good, it has probiotics (not for your affliction, just in general)

Anyways for your situation I'm leaning toward it being 100% mental. MInd over matter.

Dan Reynolds said...

You will live

We had a stretch of cold weather over the weekend. Monday was especially wet. But today we have 60s or high 50s and the leaves are starting to turn.


I've taken on some more side projects to help me work on my audio portfolio -- everything's working out pretty nicely on that front.

Most everyone still in school just finished up their first round of midterms and the whole town has kind of settled into the semester.

They've abolished fall break and opted for a full week off in November for Thanksgiving -- so I'm sure the kids will be gettin' pretty restless when Halloween comes around again.

All in all things are pretty relaxed now.


You should be aware, however, that I'm not working on 'Abstract' anymore. I found out he had several other composers working on the soundtrack at the same time and I decided that I was better than that and I wouldn't waste my free time on MAYBE getting a soundtrack in.

So we'll just have to release your track some other time! ;)


I'm glad things are staying interesting for you -- you will have a lot of material if you survive ;)

Nor said...

omg hannah.. please don't die.