Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The inevitable has happened, and it has happened after a deceptive string of innocent requests. "What's a Rolls-Royce? What's ESP? What's 'going bananas'?" Leading, leading, leading.
I tell him, but "Where do you hear these words?"
"Oprah."
"Ah."
"What's a call girl?" Okay, not entirely innocent. I tell him, though.
"Where'd you hear that one?"
"The internet."
"Ah."
"What's a detention? What does it mean to have a crush?"
And...
"What's a cock?"
A cock?
"Do you want me to spell it?" He thinks I don't know. It doesn't occur to me until later that it is an option to pretend I don't know.
"No, I know what it is, I just..."
"Is it a bad word?"
"Yes... no. No."
"Then what?"
Silence for a couple of seconds. It's a fifteen-year-old asking, and the class has another teenager, a 45-year-old Catholic priest, and a 39-year-old extremely devout Muslim in it. Can I say 'penis' in front of a Catholic priest and a fasting Muslim woman looking tiredly, but expectantly, at me, shrouded in her headscarf? I'm not entirely sure.
"I'm asking because... I was on the internet and someone said 'Suck my cock.'"
OH.
"I know what suck means! But I don't know what cock means!"
Now it's not just saying 'penis' in front of the aforementioned people, but talking about sucking cock. AWESOME. I shouldn't have given him the opportunity to use it in context.
I tell him, though: "Cock means penis."
"OHHhhhh?" he half-shrieks, then, as class is over, I have four students studiously avoiding my eye as they file out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the internet is dumb.

and i don't envy your day.

Mazur said...

Way to sully the future of Indonesia, smut mouth.

You're hardcore street cred grows every time you post.

You've also made me appreciate mashed potatos on a fundamentally deeper level.