Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Three weeks and two days ago from now the title of my blog will be misleading or just outright wrong. I will instead be newlyunindonesian, and newlychicagoan, or, I guess, newlyrechicagoan, given that I’ll never feel new in Chicago because I spent the first 18 years of my life there. I wonder how quickly 18 years of being used to being freezing can be erased. Probably really quickly. Probably I’ll step out of the terminal at O’Hare and promptly shrivel up and die.

I’m drinking water. Trying to picture that water being ice. Trying to picture that ice being everywhere. My windows closed. Ice on these windows. Some rusting old heater – if Indonesia ever had a reason to make heaters, what bizarre defect would they have? – and its blasting cycles, like at home. For some reason I think it’d be like the one at home in that way.

Trying to remember walking in the snow, being so cold that the only thing I want in the world is to be warm. I remember it best in Chicago, the feeling of emerging from the subway. Wind tunnels down the stairs, like Chicago doesn’t want you emerging, would rather you stay underground. A scarf being the more important thing you own, and if it’s a fashion scarf, or knitted sloppily, with large looped holes in it, then it fails. No, it must be inches thick and ugly, industrial. Preferably brown and multilayered. Stuck to your face with frozen snot.

I can write it well enough, but that’s about it – I can’t feel it. The other day the sky opened up on me as I was arguing with a random guy who was trying to make me pay Rp. 20,000 for sitting on a hill, and my T-shirt stuck to my body and I thought, shit, I’m cold. I think it was about 85 degrees outside.

4 comments:

Dan Reynolds said...

Shit it's cold.

Snow fell again today and the cold here bites your cheeks.

ohmygodimmike said...

IT's funny I'm reading this right now cuz I'm hearing them pounding away with tools all around my head as they install our new furnace that gave out last night. THe worst time it could have happened cuz it's -5 F and about 50 inside my house.

Anonymous said...

Hannah,

I have just recently found your blog, more of a stumbled upon I guess. I have spent the last few days reading everything from your archives and I can’t tell you enough how much I have enjoyed your writing. I’m a stay-at-home mom, who has always lived a very “sheltered” life. Sheltered in marrying the right man from the right family, traveling extensively but only to 4 star all-inclusive golf resorts, where the only true things you see are from the tinted windows of the car delivering you to your gated destination. I envy your strength and courage, to leave the comforts of home and give of yourself so freely to those who no doubt have flourished under your teachings. I hope that I will be able to instill that courage, that adventurousness in my children.

I hope you continue to blog, your writing has made me cry, laugh and dream of things I hope to some day do.

Thank you,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Hello! 

Why do dogs eat their poop? One reason dogs eat their poop is because it just plain taste
good. Another reason is it could be a vitamin deficiency. One other reason for the poop
eating is that it is an instinctual behavior in the wild to eat the poop to keep other predators
from tracking their movements.

Some solutions for stopping poop eating are: You can put meat tenderizer on it.

What do you think?

Wow, I've found the same to be true too!  How did you find that?  

See you soon! WonderGirl 




[color=#473624][u][url=http://paid-opinion-surveyhkfeyucjbsz.blogspot.com]how I make money with paid surveys[/url][/u][/color]