Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Every Tuesday I sort of wish it will snow so there won't be a softball game. This, after I spent all my time looking up a softball league that would have me after ten years of not playing at all. I wanted something that would get me into shape in a nonthreatening way (rugby, my last try two years ago, turned out to be a threatening way indeeed; the warmup mile run alone was too much to start with, and the fact that I was the lightest person there at 150 pounds was practically a guarantee that I would be in the hospital before the end of the season) and would shape my week a little bit, force me to compartmentalize my time.

But now I just wish it would snow. Snow or be warm. As much as I want to have something to do when I'm alone in my house, when I do have something to do, and it's stressful, I wish it were optional. Actually, it's probably simpler than that; softball, for me, means biking four or five miles down to the fields on the outskirts of town, and when the game's over and I'm exhausted, either biking back (all uphill) or going out to the main road and waiting a half hour for a bus - this all when it's at or around freezing and the wind is howling. For everyone else, they just have to jump in their cars, drive there, play, jump in their cars, drive back. Simple as that.

It's a sacrifice I make, not having a car, and I like to think it's for the good of the environment, so I can gloat, and not just because I don't have the money, which is probably much closer to the truth. I oscillate between liking it and not. Sometimes when I'm struggling against the wind with both handlebars wobbling with the weight of my groceries and it's starting to snow and cars are sweeping by me at close range and sometimes honking, I get frustrated and angry to the point where it's not even in line anymore with the situation. But later, thinking about it, I think, what do I not have that these people in their cars do?

I used to think nothing. I used to think I had nothing less, and that I was actually gaining something - exercise, and time spent outdoors. Things like that. I disagree with myself now. I'm definitely short on something these people have, and that's the freedom to just go out at a whim and have fun without getting weighed down with the consequences of when's the bus running, what are the intervals, how cold is it, will it snow, which way is the wind blowing, can I ride my bike into it, has someone stolen my bike light, how long will this take, will I be able to get any sleep tonight once I get home?

Because of all these questions running through my head, I often decide just not to go anywhere because it's too much trouble, and my life becomes more monotonous instead of more colorful. And yes, I realize that this is ridiculously whiny and specific about a problem that's not a problem at all, compared to the rest of the problems of the world, and yes, I realize that I could just not think about all those things and go anyway and deal with the consequences as they happen, but that's not who I am, and these are the consequences that riding a bike has, for me, and this is how it's been and now I go nowhere more often than I go somewhere. It makes me sad.

2 comments:

Dan Reynolds said...

First of all, pain is relative. People who say 'suck it up, there's real suffering in the world' are just full of shit.

Our responsibilities are the consequences we face to the choices individually and personally presented to us.

Sometimes that choice is voicing care about the foreign world, but most often, it's about taking care of ourselves.

It's about considering the consequences we face when we choose what to eat for breakfast or the consequences we face when we choose to walk down a back street or what we face when we run to catch a bus or take a hike or bike to work or jump up and down in excitement or take a nap or smile to a stranger or do any of the infinite ordinary things we do every day.

Our first responsibility is to ourselves. We have to make sure that we are as good a person as we can be and hopefully our participation in the larger world will reflect the care we've taken.

Of course, projecting consequences are a bit like predicting the future and while we can make educated guesses based on what we know and how things have worked out in the past, there are definitely a lot of unknowns.

Should you play Softball? I don't know. Should you buy a motor vehicle? I don't know. Should you walk down a back alley? I don't know.

Hannah Enenbach said...

Well, my choice to play softball last night led to me getting hit in the leg again... the same leg... in basically the same place. A car wouldn't have solved that one!

But I think I'm going to do CarShare, if not now, at least when it starts getting winter again. I don't mind being a biker in the summer.