Wednesday, April 02, 2008

We, this stranger and I, were using the Scrabulous chatbox to chat to each other about rambutan and its availability in the United States versus its availability in Canada, which is of course the best possible use for a Scrabulous chatbox. I told him it was near-impossible to get them here unless it was June, and he assured me that the stores were crawling with them in Vancouver, that they were just as prolific there as pineapples or grapes. I was distracted by this beautiful spectre, plus had racks like either 'AUUNOII' or 'CCRZBVX' but never mixed together, so he was winning for most of the game, and was friendly as could be while he was doing so, even bordering on flirting, which skeezed me out a little but was innocuous enough if I just sidestepped it.

Until I started to win. As I got closer and closer to his score he got more and more stroppy. His compliments became sort of backhanded; his comments more guarded. And when I had just one tile left, and was leading by just fifteen points, he probably knew he was going to lose, and so typed 'wow so why do your turns take so long when it's obvious you're using a [Scrabble solver] program' and then left, only to return the next day to finish out his loss with only silence.

What a classy gentleman! I love playing games with those who think that if they don't win, the other person must be cheating. But there is a bigger issue at stake, and that is that the rambutan availability in Vancouver has been thrown into question. I can't trust the claims of someone who turns into a five year old at the first available opportunity! What if Vancouver ISN'T really a fruitful paradise spilling over with rambutan? What if it turns out it's just a cold, rainy, grey city with only oranges and apples to offer?

4 comments:

Nor said...

you might just have to go to vancouver to find out. if it makes you feel any better, the only place i've seen rambutan here is at Siam Pasta. They offer it as a desert.

Dan Reynolds said...

Sounds like we should move to Seattle, only a stones throw away from Vancouver.


<_<

Hannah Enenbach said...

Rambutan as dessert at Siam Pasta?? Why did I not know about this? Oh well, it's most likely frozen anyway, as I'm not sure how THEY would get it fresh either.

Nor said...

it's probably not fresh, but it's still delicious. to me, anyway.. i wouldn't know the difference.