Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I trust most of you are aware of the Milgram experiment (or the most well known thereof), but if you haven't, there's a Wikipedia link right there, just ripe for clicking! It's a pretty oft-cited defense of the power of authority/peer pressure/obedience etc., but the more I read about it, the more it seems like we're all missing the point. Hasn't anyone taken into consideration that the people subjected to this experiment have no doubt noticed that their experimenter is himself willing to subject other subjects to 45o volt shocks?

I think it may have been pure brute selfish fear, a better-him-than-me thing, that motivated these poor subjects, way more than just the human desire to acquiesce to authority. I mean, the experimenter clearly thinks it's okay to dangerously shock people. There's nothing that would suggest he would stop at dangerously shocking any dissenter in the experiment.

My psychology text has cleverly anticipated my excuse response by citing predictions, percentages, studies, surveys, and basically good hard raw facts and proof, that prove that no matter how much people deny that they would have done it, they would have definitely done it.

Though my text has discredited me before I even opened my mouth, I do think I would have refused to administer any more shocks until the experimenter at least made a threatening move or comment. And threatening means... threatening. Not, 'you have no choice but to continue'. That isn't a threat, it's an arguable statement that begs to be asked for clarification. But while this may be just my gut reaction/excuse for disassociating myself from these subjects, I feel like, yes, I would have done it in that case, but it wouldn't have been out of fear of disobeying authority. It would have been out of a fear OF GETTING SHOCKED WITH 450 VOLTS OF ELECTRICITY.

5 comments:

Dan Reynolds said...

Were the participants compensated for their time?

If someone asked me to shock someone, I would generally say no.

If someone offered me $100 to shock someone, why not? It's not like they'll die, right? $100 is $100!

Hannah Enenbach said...

The answer is right there in the Wikipedia link - do not underestimate Wikipedia links! They got paid $4 for an hour (in the 60's)... but they got it as soon as they showed up.

Dan Reynolds said...

$4.50, 50c for carfare.

Which four dollars and fifty cents in 1960 is quite a bit of money.

I'm pretty sure you could buy a house with $4.50, at least make a down-payment.

Anonymous said...

One needn't return to the 60s for $4.50 down payment on a house. See: 2005-2007/8.

radialRelish said...

why you no post no more?