Friday, October 16, 2009

The older I get the more anhedonic I get, and I'm not just using that word because it's a GRE word; in fact, when that word popped up on my GRE Vocab Builder, I was like, sweet, I already know that one. I am that one.

Well, not completely. I shouldn't be so damn dramatic all the time and start journal entries off with sweeping proclamations that I know in the back of my brain to be at least a tiny bit untrue. I am not incapable of feeling pleasure. But I am more incapable of it than I used to be, for sure.

However, this is possibly because I spend 80% of my time doing things like the GRE Vocab Builder, or brush-up algebraic equations, or papers on actuarial decision making, or internet homework about cellular respiration. I guess we'll see how true the sweeping proclamation really is once we have a point of comparison. That point of comparison will have to be something like, let's see how I feel once I spend most of my time traveling to foreign countries, trying every expensive exotic food that exists, frolicking in ocean waves, playing with kittens, and counting my oodles and oodles of hundred dollar bills that fall in my lap from nowhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah: Full disclosure just in case you feel it intrusively creepy to receive a comment from a guy old enough to be your grandfather: I'm Chell Mann's step-dad and came to your blog through his, and because his mom recently read some of your restaurant reviews. Now the comment: you write very well (a professional opinion): vibrant, evocative of place and people, emotionally resonant. Do you write other stuff, too - short stories, novels, etc.?

Phil Penningroth

Hannah Enenbach said...

I'm always happy that my journals/Yelps/general writings have spread to people I don't know - I don't find that inherently creepy! Anyway, thanks for your comment. I've always enjoyed creative writing, but I find that I'm much better at creative nonfiction than anything else - so, journalling (and restaurant reviewing) is what I do. Nothing novel-like or short-story-like has turned out anywhere close to well enough to share with others. I won't rule it out, though!