Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I don't know what my blood type is! Do most people know what their blood types are? Is it supposed to be knee-jerk knowledge or something, like your Social Security number or your screen name or whether or not you are allergic to penicillin? Apparently you find out when you donate blood, but every time I donate blood I am told that my iron count sucks and they don't want my dirty, stinking blood anyway (sort of; at least, you know, the gist is true). I'm not sure I want to be in an Indonesian hospital needing a transfusion and having no idea of either a) what blood I need to receive in order not to die, and b) how to communicate this or anything else in Indonesian.

There are a few websites, though, that are helping me learn the language. I won't be one of those people who travels (or moves, in my case) to wherever strikes their fancy and then expects the locals to know English, becoming very cross if they don't. Especially one of those people who likes to 'get away from it all' to the remotest place possible, and expects the same. Guess what? Your idyllic, removed little getaway is probably so peaceful and perfect in part because they probably doesn't have any giant English schools. Learn the local language. You chose to go there; now speak as the Romans speak and whatnot.

No comments: